Fulfilling the promise I made in the post announcing the VoIP client for Nintendo DS, I will describe the steps needed to turn a plain Nintendo DS into a Wi-fi phone (the nPhone!)
What you will need
- Nintendo DS or DS Lite (obviously)
- Wi-fi enabled DS game
- I used Mario Kart DS
- Memory card adapter such as SuperCard DS (One)
- I bought it bundled with a memory card at ConsoleUp. Unfortunately at time of writing they are out of stock.
- Helpfully, the package include a USB microSD reader, so it will be easy to copy files across.
- There are other brands as well, such as R4DS.
- microSD memory card
- Files needed will take about 28 MB.
- I bought a 2GB one, in case I want to use it for something else.
- VoIP account (SIP-based)
- I used VoipBuster. They allow free calls to some countries for the first 60 minutes. After that you will get a certain amount of free calls as long as you put money in your account.
- SvSIP, the open source VoIP client.
- Wi-fi connection to the Internet.
- Setup wi-fi using your chosen Wi-fi enabled game.
- Download latest OS files from Supercard (I got SP5), and unpack.
- From the unpacked OS files, copy the scshell subdirectory to memory card, keeping the structure.
- Unpack SvSIP.
- Copy SvSIP to memory card keeping the separate svsip directory.
- You should end up with two directories on the memory card.
- Edit config.txt for SvSIP. See below, I delete the bits that we don’t need
–username put your VoipBuster.com registered username here
–password put your VoipBuster.com password here
- That’s it! Put the memory card in the SuperCard, and put the SuperCard in the DS console.
Making a call
- If you turn the console on, after the splash screen, on the bottom screen you will get something like Windows Explorer. Just touch the svsip directory, and then touch svsip.nds.
- Dial the number, in the format of ’00’, and then the country code, and then the area code in the country (without any leading zero), and then the telephone number. For example calling 0012024561111 will get you connected to the White House comments line. 00442079250918 should get you the fax tone of Number 10 (Downing Street, that is). You get the idea.
Try the steps, and leave a comment on your efforts. I’ll document all troubleshooting and will post it separately.